Thursday, March 17, 2011

Here Comes the Sun

On a beautiful, bright, and sunny day, I am reflective on the vast contrast of today versus those dark, dreary winter days that I so desperately wanted to come to an end. I began to think about the sun and how it was always there. Some days, so many clouds came in between the reality of the sun and my perception of its light, and I began to actually believe in some small way, that the clouds would never part. That some how the sun would never fully shine again.

Yet, since I have seen the sun, its radiant light, and experienced its warmth, I do know, not only in my head, but also in my heart, that the sun will always be. That one day, within the next couple of months, I will wipe the sweat from my brow and long for relief from the sun's unrelenting rays. I have felt its power and experienced its constantance.

Earlier today, I was thinking through the reality of God and yet, how there are so many people that choose not to believe. I could have a very hard time understanding their unbelief because I was always surrounded by people who choose to believe and live in accordance to the Word. Born the daughter of a pastor, I was submerged into a lifestyle that allowed me to see the workings of God in numerous people's lives, from my own family, to the church family that I was raised in. But, even then, I was subject to a choice. I personally had to choose to believe if there really was a God, and if so, what that would mean for me.

I liken my understanding of why I believe in God to why I believe in the existence of the sun.
Just like I have seen the affects of the sun, and experienced its power, I have seen with my own eyes the works of God around me, and I have lived in experience with Him. I know God is real because the light of His reality has so penetrated my heart that I cannot deny Him. Just like anyone who has lived in the light of the sun knows that it is real. You can see clearly because His light has illuminated life and given you a greater understanding of what is real.

Still, I can also see why there are people who have great doubts about God, or choose not to believe in Him at all. I am not offended by others' unbelief. In fact, I don't see it as my responsibility to convince someone that God really does exist. John 3:19- "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil." God doesn't need me to do His biding for Him. "In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood* it". John 1:4&5(*understood: the darkness could not overpower the light!) He's all powerful and can speak for Himself! What I am called to do, is to tell the truth to those who need to hear. To proclaim the name of the Lord, and point others to Him. I am to spread the light of His truth in the dark places of this world.

Those who are living in unbelief are living life in the dark. Stumbling around, unable to see. It's like they have the blinds pulled down over the windows and the sun's light is blocked. They really cannot see what they are needing, because they haven't felt the reality of God. They are blinded by the darkness. So, when someone angrily states: "There is no god", I can honestly say, THAT is THEIR reality. They have the blinds pulled down, and really, just haven't had the experience of seeing the light! But, wow, what God can reveal to a person who allows even the smallest pinpoint of the light of His truth to invade their darkness...now that's when the blind begin to see that there is something more.

So, I challenge you today, as I do myself, to be light in a dark place. I would also ask you to pray that God would "pull the blinds up" in peoples' hearts so that they can see the light of truth shining in. "The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armour of light". (Romans 13:12)

I also bid you to ask God to part the clouds in your life, the stuff that is keeping you from experiencing the full light of God's love. Seek out the light, allowing it to pierce the dark places. 1 Peter 2:9, "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light".

Know that in Him there is no hint or trace of shadow. His light is constant and never fails.


Lyrics to You Are The Sun, by Sara Groves

You are the sun shining down on everyone
Light of the world giving light to everything I see
Beauty so brilliant I can hardly take it in
And everywhere you are is warmth and light

And I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I can't be a light unless I turn my face to you

You are the sun shining down on everyone
Light of the world giving light to everything I see
Beauty so brilliant I can hardly take it in
And everywhere you are is warmth and light

And I am the moon with no light of my own
Still you have made me to shine
And as I glow in this cold dark night
I know I canĂ­t be a light unless I turn my face to you

Shine on me with your light
Without you I'm a cold dark stone
Shine on me I have no light of my own
You are the sun, you are the sun, you are the sun

1 comment:

Jan Jarvis said...

Good preaching! So happy that you choose to let His light shine through you. We are very proud of you and all that you are.