Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Beauty in Wednesday

Poor Wednesday. It gets such a bad rap. Smack dab in the middle of the week, stuck in between the two days that start with T's. I think Wednesday ranks right up there with Monday on many people's "Days I love to Hate" list. Really, what is it about this day that makes people cringe? Remember that old saying about the days of the week and the children born on each of those days? I can't recall all of them, but the one I remember well is Wednesday's Child. That poor kid was cursed with the "full of woe" title from the start of his or her life! I pity Wednesday's Child. Honestly, who gets excited about "full of woe"? (Incidentally, I do know my sister had to carry that around with her as a kid because she was born on a Wednesday.)
Early this morning while I was at the gym, a very sweet and lovely petite woman attempted to strike up and conversation with me. I was terribly confused by her. I couldn't quite make out what she was talking about, but I did catch something about Friday. Was it that the wee hours of the morning had thrown her off by two days? I don't know. I just smiled and nodded and attempted to throw in something about it being Wednesday today. Whether it connected, I'm not sure, but as she walked out the door a few minutes later, she said something else about Friday...Wow, Wednesday was really putting her off her game. Maybe, it was really me Wednesday had pulled one over on since I didn't seem to understand what was going on.
So, on a day that tends to rattle us, I felt God whispering to me over and over again, "Find the Beauty of Me today." The bright and shining beauty that is Christ. He is the compilation of everything that we would ever think is beautiful and lovely. He is Light. In Him there is no darkness or blemish. We think we know what beauty is when be look at a flower in bloom, or the vivid colors of a sunset across the vastness of the ocean. Yet, all the pretty little things of this world pale in comparison to glorious splendor that flows from Him. "From Zion, perfect in beauty, God shines forth!"(Psalm 50:2)
Therefore, I will not seek Him out of my needs today. I will not just look to Him as my provider, healer, and deliverer. Yes, He is the God of Provision, Healing, and Deliverance, but for today, I choose to worship Him in His beauty. I choose not to ask for what I want from Him. Instead, I will choose to gaze upon His majestic face and honor Him with my heartfelt and deepest affection. I will see Him not just for what He does, but simply for who He is.
"I am the Alpha and Omega-the beginning and the end", says the Lord God. "I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come, the Almighty One." (Revelation 1:8)
Whoa, awesome. Awestruck wonder. And, that's pretty good for a Wednesday.

1 comment:

Kate Dolan said...

Whenever it's Wednesday in one place...it's Thursday somewhere else and in some places it still remains a Tuesday for a little while longer. :)
Kate Dolan